Seven tips for optimum gum health
- Posted on: Jun 15 2021
Your gums are the key to optimum oral health and wellness. The gum tissues are the framework for your smile. They provide support for the teeth, protect the tooth roots from damage, and can prevent bacteria from causing periodontal disease to occur. Patients who are not careful to protect their gums and take care of these soft tissues may be putting themselves at risk for a variety of problems. Drs. Rick Kline and Bret Davis or Smile Texas in Sugar Land are available to educate patients on ways to protect the smile and prevent certain conditions from developing.
The risks of poor gum health
Patients who do not properly care for their smile with brushing, flossing, and routine appointments are putting themselves at risk for a variety of problems. Conditions such as gingivitis can cause swollen, inflamed gum tissues that can harbor bacteria and lead to severe periodontal disease. Patients who have periodontal disease will often experience an increased risk for various medical conditions including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, pregnancy complications, and even dementia. With proper care of the teeth and gums, patients can significantly reduce these risks while maintaining a healthy smile!
Tips for optimum gum health
Taking care of the smile is vital to maintaining healthy gums. Below are a few recommendations from the dentists at Smile Texas:
- Obtain routine dental cleanings every six months
- Brush and floss the teeth after every meal when possible to remove sugars, acids, and staining beverages and foods
- Call the dentist as soon as problems arise to catch issues in their earliest stages
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco which accelerates the progression of disease and increases cancer risks
- Limit sugars and acids to protect the gums and natural tooth enamel from damage
- Eat a healthy diet high in fruits and vegetables
- Manage chronic diseases which can increase the risk of periodontal disease
Enjoy healthy gums for a lifetime of benefits!
Taking care of your teeth and gums is vital to your oral health and wellbeing. If you are in the area of Sugar Land, TX, we encourage you to book a consultation with the team at Smiles Texas to discuss your oral healthcare needs with Drs. Rick Kline and Bret Davis. The office is located at 4665 Sweetwater Boulevard, Suite #450 and accepts new patients who call for an evaluation at (281) 265-7645. Our front office step can walk you through the process of scheduling an appointment and working with our team to improve and maintain your dental health and wellness.
Posted in: Gum Disease